Sunday 31 July 2011

Tenby 10k - Race Report

This race had been in my crosshairs for quite a while. All the signs pointed towards a sub-40 minute 10k: I had run my PB of 40:17 two months before and come close to that time again in training; I felt strong, notwithstanding a couple of niggles; the course was coastal, so it had to be flat, right? Well, not quite: it actually rose by almost 400ft, but my PB had been on a pretty hilly course too. So on balance, my target seemed realistic.

The start was crowded and there was no timing mat, so official results would be from the gun. With that in mind, I jostled for position. When the horn sounded I got pretty annoyed with a few dawdlers, but the field soon opened out.

The first mile consisted of a gentle half-mile climb (80ft or so) followed immediately by a descent of about the same distance and gradient. I resisted the temptation to let fly, unlike half of the 30 or so runners ahead of me. However, making the most of the downhill stretch, I clocked the first mile in 6:18. I felt well within my limits at that point.

The modest downward slope continued and by the end of mile 2, we were about 60ft closer to sea level than the starting area. So I wasn't concerned to hear my Garmin chirp after another 6:15. I was still happy with my running. Yes, this was a quick pace for me, but I hadn't gone like a greyhound out of the traps!

But from here on in, things started to get a bit more challenging. Mile 3 entailed a short but steep climb, just enough to make my quads burn. My split time fell to 6:36 for mile 3 and I passed the 5k mark in 19:48. Still on course. No cause for concern. All I had to do was hold it together.

Mile 4 involved yet more climbing. Not a particularly challenging gradient, but enough to take the edge off my pace. I had steadily moved my way up the pack by this point, gaining at least 10 places since the start. One runner in front of me had now started to walk, but as soon as I overtook him he sprinted past me again at a ridiculous pace. A few hundred yards later he was walking again. Then he took off again. This game of cat and mouse continued until the climb intensified a little, then he disappeared. Just as well, because I was finding it bloody distracting! I clocked 6:36 for mile 4. My average pace was bang on for a 40-minute 10k, but I had lost the benefit of my quick start.

We carried on climbing gently until about half way through mile 5, when we were greeted with a relatively steep downhill stretch. I managed to win back some time, posting 6:28 for the mile. I was hanging in there, just!

Still feeling pretty strong, I sat in with a couple of other runners for a few hundred yards. I knew the final mile was uphill, so I wanted to conserve as much energy as possible. But these guys were going too slowly, so I pulled ahead of them. I had unwittingly volunteered to be their windbreak. There had been barely a breath of wind all day and now I was running head on into a stern breeze. Then I got a stitch. 'Please, not now!', I thought. My spirits were momentarily lifted when I saw the 9k marker and realised I had a few seconds to spare, but I could see a steep climb ahead.

The hill rose by only 80ft, but it was 'all in one go'. I slowed to what felt like a shuffle and the two runners I had just overtaken came back past me. I wasn't going to let them get away. Mile 6 took me 6:50 and the sub-40 minute dream was slipping away. I had to do something.

The ground levelled off and a sign indicated that there were 400 metres to go. Knackered and not sure if I could sustain anything more than the pace I was already at, I found a kick from somewhere and overtook the last guy to have passed me on the hill. The course followed an 'S' bend, so I couldn't see the finish. Just when I thought I was there, the course took another turn. I looked down at my Garmin: time: 39:xx; pace: 4:40/mile! I was closing in fast on the next two runners, who were already battling it out between themselves. Face contorted, legs burning, lungs bursting, heart pounding, I powered over the finish line in 39:41. My mum and sister immediately ran over and congratulated me. As soon as the world stopped spinning, I thanked them both and we wandered off for a well-deserved pub lunch.


Distance: 10k
Time: 39m 41s
Avg pace: 6m 23s / mile
Position: 26 of 338 (putting me in the top 8%)

Official results here and GPS data here.

No comments:

Post a Comment