Monday 19 December 2011

Quedgeley Christmas 5-miler - Race Report

Just a brief report this time...

This was a small race in Gloucestershire, organised by the local methodist church to raise funds. There were only 60 or 70 runners, so the fact that I finished 7th wasn't as impressive as it sounds!

I lined up close to the start line and kept the leaders in sight for a short while, although when my watch chirped 6:03 for the first mile I did ease off a little. That's about 5km pace for me! A bridge over the M5 marked the end of any busy roads and the start of winding, picturesque country lanes. Great scenery and barely a breath of wind. I was enjoying myself by now.

Mile 2 took 6:20, which I felt was too slow. So from then I tried to maintain a slightly quicker pace. I was just off a pack of runners chasing the lead for the entire race. Nobody overtook me, nor did I overtake anyone. My remaining 3 splits were pretty even and I managed a time of 31:05, knocking a huge 55 seconds off my previous PB, set in May. All in all I was thrilled. A thoroughly enjoyable race!

See my Garmin data here and the official results here.


Distance: 5.00 miles
Avg pace: 6m 13s / mile
Avg HR: No HRM
Conditions: Cold and clear

No comments:

Post a Comment