Sunday 15 January 2012

Baby steps or both feet first?

It's been a funny old few weeks. The last week of December wasn't exactly what you'd call sedentary -- I even ran on Christmas Day -- but our trip to Japan and the virus I picked up afterwards have made for a slow start to the year. And knowing where to pitch your training after illness is always a tricky one.

But with relative abandon, I've run 22 miles and cycled 10 in the past three days. And none of it at a particularly forgiving pace. I guess it's a sign of the frustration I've felt at not being able to get out there. God help me if I ever end up on the sidelines for any real length of time.

You may have noticed my list of prospective races growing exponentially on the right, too. On the face of it, things are probably looking a bit too busy, but in reality I'll be treating one or two of those fixtures as practice runs for other events. For instance, I'll be running the Lliswerry 8 (apparently pancake flat) and the Llanelli 10 at target HM pace in preparation for the Bath Half. And the Llanelli Half I'll be running alongside Annie, lending moral support and/or kicking arse depending on how much she complains ;-)

There will undoubtedly be one or two early season triathlons in there, too. My swimming is coming along nicely (I can manage about a kilometre front crawl without much trouble now) and I'm going to be spending more time in the saddle over the coming weeks. That's in addition to the 4/5 runs per week that I've scheduled.

I'll be listening carefully to my body. I do have a tendency to jump in both feet first, but as I work towards my first triathlon I will effectively be cross training. So with the stomach bug now behind me, here's hoping for an injury-free start to 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment