Sunday 12 June 2011

A note on training

You might have noticed I've been posting less frequently. I've decided from now on I'm going to post a summary of my training at the end of each week. That way there should hopefully be less dross and a bit more quality!

This week I managed 28.8 miles, including a 10k race today. Recently I've been avoiding hills and speed work with a strained gluteus medius, so I'm not at my sharpest. Still, at least I'm able to run. I think I'd go mad if I had to rest for a week!

Highlights of this week's training:

- I went swimming for the first time in a long time and enjoyed the workout :-)
- I upped my total weekly mileage by about 10%
- My osteopath told me the strength was returning to my right hip.
- I came 5th in the Ross-on-Wye 10k!

Monday: 3-mile recovery run following the Magic Roundabout 10k

Distance: 2.98 miles
Avg pace: 9m 41s / mile
Avg HR: 135 bpm

Tuesday: 1km swim before work and 6 miles easy to steady in the evening  (I'm a dreadful swimmer: I usually resort to breast stroke because my front crawl is so inefficient it's exhausting. Good for a low-impact workout, though!)


Distance: 5.91 miles
Avg pace: 7m 33s / mile
Avg HR: 153 bpm

Wednesday: Another 3-mile run at recovery pace.

Distance: 3.09 miles
Avg pace: 9m 43s / mile
Avg HR: 134 bpm

Thursday: Long(ish) slow run -- felt pretty sluggish being out of the door by 6:50am, but got into the swing of it eventually. Finished at marathon pace.

Distance: 7.94 miles
Avg pace: 8m 11s / mile
Avg HR: 147 bpm

Friday: 3 miles at dead on 8 minutes per mile. Felt harder than it should have. My heart rate suggests the same. Think I was a bit dehydrated.

Distance: 3.00 miles
Avg pace: 8m 00s / mile
Avg HR: 150 bpm

Saturday: rest (aka climbing up the walls)


Distance: 5.87 miles
Avg pace: 6m 46s / mile
Avg HR: No HR monitor

No comments:

Post a Comment