Sunday 26 June 2011

Week beginning 20 June

Highlights of the week:


- Ran 38.33 miles (highest weekly mileage this year!) in 4h 48m 36s
- Started to inject a bit more speed into my training
- Completed my longest training run since Paris (13.98 miles)
- Experimented with foot plant, with some interesting results


Monday: 3-mile recovery run finishing with a small spurt

Distance: 3.05 miles
Avg pace: 8m 21s / mile
Avg HR: 142 bpm


Tuesday: 1 mile easy, 5 miles tempo, 1 mile easy. Felt uncomfortable, like the first speed session in a while, but I think I got the intensity just about right.

Distance: 7.00 miles
Avg pace: 7m 14s / mile
Avg HR: 165 bpm


Wednesday: 3-mile easy/recovery run

Distance: 3.03 miles
Avg pace: 8m 19s / mile
Avg HR: 149 bpm


Thursday: 5 miles starting at half marathon pace and ending at 10k pace. Felt it!

Distance: 4.97 miles
Avg pace: 6m 56s / mile
Avg HR: 165 bpm


Friday: Rest.


Saturday: 10km averaging target marathon pace. Before my run today I read a decent piece of advice in a triathlon book: imagine you're running with a string attached to your head, holding your body in place. In other words: run tall. So, I started off easy and slowly built up to 10k pace, concentrating on form: mid- to forefoot striking and good, tall posture. The result? I still had plenty left in the tank at 6:40/mile. I can't believe how much less energy I used when I didn't slouch. Looks like I may have turned over a new leaf!


Distance: 6.15 miles
Avg pace: 7m 19s / mile
Avg HR: 156 bpm


Sunday: Long slow run. Concentrated on form again, results similar. My heart rate remained relatively low and I didn't feel like I was running hard, yet I posted some decent mile times. Bit hot out there, mind!

Distance: 13.98 miles
Avg pace: 7m 40s / mile
Avg HR: 154 bpm

No comments:

Post a Comment