Monday 10 October 2011

Bricking it!

Today I did my first ever brick run. For those not in the know: brick sessions consist of two disciplines, often cycling and running and usually in that order (thus simulating the final transition of a triathlon). The idea is to train your body to efficiently switch blood supply from one set of muscle groups to another. Doing this often enough should help to prevent any upsets during your first triathlon or, in my case, duathlon.

If you've ever tried brick runs, you'll know that your legs don't really feel like your own for the first couple of hundred yards. This can make it difficult to pace yourself. In fact, I've never felt so little control over my running as I did today: I looked down at my Garmin and realised I was unwittingly cruising at 5k pace. Cramp  quickly crept into both calves and I found myself emphatically heel-striking in a bid to stretch them out. Apparently, this isn't uncommon for newbies like yours truly.

I remember how blasé I was about signing up for the 'Chilly' Duathlon at Castle Combe, which entails a 2-mile run followed by a 10-mile bike ride followed by another 2-mile run. 'Two miles? Child's play!', I thought to myself. But my first brick session has changed all that. Duathlon and triathlon both command respect as disciplines. I'm just glad I realised that now rather than on the big day.

I have just over 5 weeks to train for the duathlon, and I plan to fit in at least one brick session per week. I'll probably try to mimic race day at least once in training, too.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to try and track down Cardiff Triathlon club at Fairwater Leisure Centre. If there's anything I need help with, it's swimming. Gulp!


Distance: 1.00 miles
Avg pace: 6m 23s / mile
Avg HR: No HR monitor
Conditions: windy, 15°C

No comments:

Post a Comment