Tuesday 29 March 2011

Fartlek

No, this post isn't an ode to toilet humour: fartlek is Swedish for 'speedplay'. The basic premise is to run easy to steady and use visual markers to sprint for short distances. Doesn't have to be regimented - just run however you feel. In fact, as a long-distance runner you very rarely go all out (unless you have dedicated speed sessions), so this is a good way to mix things up a little bit. I ran 3 miles in 20m 37s and felt like I'd had a decent workout without necessarily tiring myself out. I should do this kind of running more often.

During the rest of the week I'll fit in a medium-sized session, a recovery run and then a long slow run on Sunday. I'm stepping things down, of course, as the Paris Marathon is in a mere 10 days. GULP!

2 comments:

  1. you and your posh words. You sprinted, got knackered, walked a bit, sprinted, got knackered, walked a bit we have all done that. :-)

    ReplyDelete