Sunday 27 March 2011

Long slog

I'm still not feeling 100% so today's run was pretty hard work. Again, the objective was to stay on my feet rather than put in a decent time, and I think I managed that pretty well. In the end I ran 20.27 miles in 2h 48m. On the big day, I should only be out for half an hour longer than that. Then again, I've had two colds over the last few weeks, which has hardly helped my preparations. I anticipate my legs will really start to stiffen up for the final 5 or 6 miles of the marathon. I'll do my best - can't say fairer than that!

I tested out a camel pack today (a small back pack with a bladder for water). I have to say it worked pretty well. While 2 litres of water is pretty heavy, it doesn't feel too bad spread across both shoulders. Certainly better than those awful bottles on belts that ride up to your midriff and strangle the life out of your diaphragm. The main downside was the chafing around the neck, but I only shelled out €20 for it and I'm sure I'll use it again. I took a couple of gels with me today, too. I probably should have taken a chocolate bar or something too just in case I ended up having a funny turn miles from home. Anyway, enough waffle about equipment.

Today was a nice day for running, if a little warm. I enjoyed myself, but didn't have much left in me by the end. Success on the whole, though. I doubt I'll put in a longer run before the big day, so hopefully I already have enough miles in my legs. Time will tell!

1 comment:

  1. I have tried one of the camel bags - I don't like them much - so now I have a nice little rucksack, with a hook inside it for my keys. You need to be careful with the bladder thing if you don't wash them really well you can give yourself tummy trouble. A wash out with baby bottle sterilising stuff is a good idea.
    Good running by the way.

    ReplyDelete