Wednesday 27 April 2011

Runkeeper and HR data from Garmin devices

I have a Garmin 405 but rarely use the heart-rate monitor. I find the chest band constricting and besides, I tend to gauge the intensity of my runs myself rather than train to HR zones.

I also use Runkeeper to chart my progress and when I joined the site there was no option to upload HR data from Garmin devices, so there really was little incentive for me ever to use my HR monitor.

I really must keep with the times, though. Apparently Runkeeper enabled users to upload HR data from Garmin devices months ago. You just have to transfer your run from Garmin Connect or upload the TCX file manually (curiously, no HR data is displayed for the GPX file extension).

On finding this out from a friend, I went for an easy 3-miler this evening, averaging 7m 34s per mile and 156 BPM. I felt fresh and invigorated. Great weather out there: bright and sunny but not too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment