Sunday 17 April 2011

Where did the pavements go?

On Friday we moved back to the UK from Brussels. Annie's parents have kindly offered to put us up for the interim, so I'll have a stable base from which to work and, of course, run.

I'm going to miss my regular routes and the various green spaces in Brussels, despite the omnipresent dog poo. That said, my new surroundings aren't too bad at all -- there are trails heading right out to the Malvern hills. I just have to figure out how to access them! 

Not having had the time to figure that out, I headed up one of the local A-roads for a 5-miler today. It was a bit of an eye-opener at times, what with the lack of pavement, blind bends and dead ground, but I survived! I ran at a steady 7m 13s per mile but could still feel the fatigue in my legs from the marathon exactly a week ago. They reckon it takes about three weeks to fully recover from the exertion of a marathon, whoever 'they' are! So in the meantime I should be taking it relatively easy. By the end of my run today, I was tired but not exhausted, but I could probably have done with easing off a little bit. Good to get out, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment