Tuesday 10 May 2011

Back to business

Apart from the 5-mile race I ran pretty much on the spur of the moment earlier this month, tonight was my first dedicated speed session since before Paris. I ran 1 mile steady (7m 14s), 4 miles tempo (6m 44s on average) and another mile steady (7m 12s), clocking 6 miles in 41m 07s. Not a bad workout at all, but I could feel it for sure, especially during mile 5. Feeling pretty buoyant now :-)

I think that will be my last run in the Saucony Fastwitch - sad times! :-( I could feel every piece of grit under foot. The cushioning -- well, what cushioning there was to begin with -- is completely gone in the forefoot, which played havoc with my calves. I think I land mid-foot naturally, but I'm not quite ready to go barefoot yet ;-) (not that I'd want to -- I'm not really part of that camp. Maybe I'll change my mind when I finally get around to reading Born to Run...).

My Brooks Green Silence were dispatched today. With a bit of luck I might get to wear them to my first Parkrun!

Distance: 5.97 miles
Avg pace: 6m 53s / mile
Avg HR: 171 bpm
Conditions: Overcast, 13°C

2 comments:

  1. Nice run! The funny thing is that I ran a very similar run on Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that! Similar times even. We seem to be at a similar level over moderate distances, but I think you've probably got the edge over me at anything longer ;-)

    ReplyDelete