Friday 27 May 2011

A few miles in a different neck of the woods

Annie had an interview in Durham this week so I took a couple of days off work and we travelled up there together. The B&B we happened upon was really quite pleasant (a nice surprise, given my most recent experience of hotels and the like). I was at a bit of a loose end while Annie was actually at her interview, so I pootled off in the car and found a footpath to run on.

The trouble was, Annie had packed my bag the day before so we could leave as soon as I got home from work, and the only running shorts she had included had their own lining. That meant I had to strip naked in a lay-by, which might have looked a bit dodgy to passers-by! Of course, as soon as I was half undressed, a cyclist appeared right in front of my car! I just carried on and acted like what I was doing was completely normal. "Yea, what?"

Anyway, the run was enjoyable. I passed a couple of farms, a field full of horses and a golf course. Everyone should spontaneously run in new surroundings, I thought to myself. All those extra things you see and hear that you wouldn't otherwise. Beats sitting in a car park for a couple of hours!

Afterwards we mooched around the city and found a decent cafe to eat at, then headed another couple of hours up the road to stay with my auntie and cousin in the Borders. I decided not to run the next day because my shins were playing up again. In fact, I'm not running today either.

I get so frustrated sometimes with how rubbish my body is. I'm going to make an appointment at the osteopath later today and I'll take the opportunity to fire a few questions at him. There must be a reason for the constant tightness in my left soleus. I've not been pushing it, really. Hell, I'm barely running a marathon over the space of a week! So what is it? The lack of flexibility in my left ankle? Flat feet? I hope I find out before my marathon training really gets going.

Distance: 4.21 miles
Avg pace: 7m 33s / mile
Avg HR: no HRM :-/
Conditions: light rain, 13°C

No comments:

Post a Comment