Thursday 12 May 2011

Brooks Green Silence - the verdict

After heading out for quick 3-miler in my new Brooks Green Silence this evening, I thought I would jot down my thoughts...

N.B. This is not a review per se -- I may be something of a running geek, but I'm not quite well informed enough to discuss the intricate details of running footwear! Check the reviews at runblogger and ransacker for more comprehensive info.

First impressions


When I put on the shoes, my first impression was that they weren't like any other racing flats I'd ever worn. Most of the weight seems to have been ditched from the upper, so what you're left with is a single layer of gauze cloth. The lack of padding is most obvious in the tongue, and the shoes didn't fit as snugly as my old Saucony Fastwitch, but they were certainly light, airy and comfortable. My Brooks Glycerin -- and all my non-running shoes, in fact -- are UK size 11, and I didn't need to go up a half-size or anything like that with the Green Silence: 11 was just fine.

Green Silence feature asymmetric lacing -- not something I'd ever encountered. Apparently it's supposed to reduce the risk of irritation on longer runs, but given that I rarely suffer from blisters or sore spots, I might not be in the best position to say. It hardly seems a revolutionary system to me, though, and I certainly don't understand how anybody could 'love' or 'hate' it. If anything, I found asymmetric lacing a minor irritation because I usually tuck my laces in to the right of the tongue and there was no gap to do so, but that barely even qualifies as a gripe.

On the move


I don't have any issues with pronation so I tend simply to wear neutral shoes, and Green Silence seem to fit the bill in that respect. When I jogged up and down on the garden path, there was more of a wedge under the heel than I was expecting, but that could be a sign of how knackered my old racers had got! But for shoes that didn't initially feel -- or even look -- like racers, Green Silence performed surprisingly well. Once I got out onto the pavement, I noticed the smooth heel-to-toe transition seemed to 'encourage' quick running (though they're not going to make you faster -- only you can do that!).

Appearance


The shoes come in either green and black or red and yellow (rhubard and custard!). I wasn't brave enough to go for the latter. When I've knocked another few minutes off my 10k PB I might consider it, but right now I prefer the understated look ;-) See the Brooks site for pics.

In the flesh (well, cloth), the shoes look more like casual footwear than running shoes, at least to my eye they do. I feel like they wouldn't look out of place as part of a hippy outfit, but maybe that's intentional. After all, the shoes have some impressive green credentials: they're almost entirely recycled, with water-based adhesives, soy-based inks and a biodegradable midsole!

I like this aspect of Green Silence. Given that runners are advised to change their shoes every 300-500 miles or so, the waste generated by the running apparel industry must be immense, so it's nice to see a company making a difference, however small the impact may ultimately be. No doubt it's a marketing ploy as much as an environmental statement, though ;-)

That's all, folks


Like I said, I'm not an expert, so I'm not going to spout facts and figures at you. Just thought I would share my opinion!

The run

On my run, I gradually picked up the pace from 7m 20s to around 6m 40s per mile, without feeling I was really making a concerted effort. I'm looking forward to trying out the Green Silence in an organised race. Maybe I'll give them a go at the Forest of Dean next week. Will be sure to report back if I do!

Distance: 2.95 miles
Avg pace: 7m 10s / mile
Avg HR: 161 bpm
Conditions: Cloudy, 11°C

No comments:

Post a Comment